This BBQ spin on mac & cheese gets huge flavor from smoky chipotle sauce, sharp cheddar and a sprinkling of bacon jerky and togarashi crumbs.
- 8 oz. cavatappi (Corkscrew Pasta)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 a cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons NW Elixirs Hott Smoke Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Bourbon Barrel Foods Togarashi
- 2 cups half and half
- 8 oz. grated extra sharp cheddar
- Savage Jerky Co. Maple Buffalo Bacon Jerky
- Pre-Heat Oven to 350°. Boil pasta in salted water, remove about 1-2 minutes before al dente (it will cook further in the oven). Drain, toss with a glug of olive oil so they don't stick together and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle flour over and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to stick to the bottom, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk, NW Elixir Sauce and togarashi spice.
- Bring sauce to simmer and cook for 6-7 minutes. Add 6 oz. cheddar, 1 tsp salt and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Remove from heat, mix in pasta; and transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2 oz. of cheddar on top.
- Bake for 8 minutes, top with breadcrumbs and a pinch more togarashi and bake for another 8 minutes. Let cool for a couple of minutes, add a little extra NW Elixir, sprinkle with Bacon Jerky and serve.
Pro Tips: Making breadcrumbs is easy and makes a big difference (we used crumbled, oven-dried brioche buns).