16oz. Rancho Llano Seco Black Calypso Beans, rinsed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 sprig thyme or bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Heat oil in a pot over med-high heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized, 8–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, char jalapeño in a dry skillet over high heat, turning occasionally, until blackened, 8–10 minutes; slit the jalapeño.
- Add jalapeño, bay sprig, and beans to pot; add water to cover by 2 inches. Simmer, partially covered, until beans are creamy, 2–3 hours. Season with salt and cook 15 minutes longer; remove bay leaf.
Thanks for reading! :) If you enjoyed it, hit that share button below. Would mean a lot because it helps other people see the recipe.
Simmered Calypso Beans | Island Time Vol. 2 Mantry
Become A Mantry Member at Right Here
THE PERFECT GIFT FOR HIM
Give him the gift he really wants - including 6 full-size artisan food products and a custom handmade wooden crate.give him a gift
GET YOUR MANTRY
We'll deliver the best foods from across the country to your door every two months.subscribe today