Here are three iconic brands with iconic recipes who've finally divulged their secrets for the curious home cook. Still waiting on the full Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch recipe but in the meantime, we've uncovered the goods from IKEA's Swedish Meatballs to those stupid good Hilton Doubletree cookies.
1. IKEA Meatballs
Sweden is known for a couple of things, like strikingly good-looking people, sauna (well that's Finland) and of course IKEA. Chances are you've owned a piece of IKEA something in your lifetime and maybe you've had the meatballs. They are actually pretty darn good but now you can make meatballs at home and not risk getting lured into purchasing the entire patio furniture set on an idle Saturday.
Swedish meatball ingredients
- 500 grams (about 1 pound) of ground beef
- 250 grams (about 0.5 pounds) of ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or minced
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- generous amounts of salt and pepper
Cream sauce ingredients
- Dash of olive oil
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons) of butter
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons) of plain flour
- 150 millilitres (2/3 cup) of vegetable stock
- 150 millilitres (2/3 cup) of beef stock
- 150 millilitres (2/3 cup) of thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Combine ground beef and ground pork in a bowl and break it up with your fingers to get rid of lumps.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix together.
- Add milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll mixture into small meatballs. Place on a clean plate, cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Add browned meatballs to an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add 2/3 cup of vegetable stock and 2/3 cup of beef stock, stirring continuously.
- Add 2/3 cup of double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Drizzle over meatballs and enjoy.
“Bon appétit or, smaklig måltid, as we say in Sweden!”
THE PERFECT FATHER'S DAY GIFT
Give him the gift he really wants - including 6 full-size artisan food products and a custom handmade wooden crate.give him a gift
GET YOUR MANTRY
We'll deliver the best foods from across the country to your door every two months.subscribe today